Sunday, March 28, 2010

ramblings, discoveries

I haven't been posting because I've been sick. I've lost about three pounds as of today because of the flu/cold/funky virus thing I've had and am still sort of unable to eat certain solid foods, so I've been sticking to soups and chazuke just to play it safe. Anyway, this is going to be a mega post to sort of cover the last week (or so?) in terms of food.

I've been shopping at Safeway a lot lately because the amazing variety/cheap prices. Have decided to take baby steps, so bought a few things I've really really wanted. New obsession: meat rubs.



Also new old obsession: flan. I have a great espresso creme brulee recipe that I can't wait to try out, but instead I did the instant version via Jello. It was alright, at best. Won't be doing it again.



Also, Poore Brother's chips. So amazing. Addicted to the salt and peppered ones. Why didn't these exist when I was a kid?



I used the rub on the ribs (mentioned in the previous post). They came out disasterous, but it's because of the meat I bought and not the cooking technique. Next time, I'm going to buy a full rack and get it from a reputable super market/deli (fuck you, Kaimuki Times, and your shitty beef section).

Step 1, after peeling the membrane off the ribs I rubbed them down with olive oil and the rub mix. They sat like this for about eight hours in the fridge.



Step 2, on a greased pan I placed them and put them in the oven at 250F for about two hours, occasionally opening and oiling them with a paint brush.







There was so little meat on the bones to begin with but what WAS there was tasty. I probably didn't have to bake it as long as I did, which caused it to get tough and a bit dry. Hopefully the next time will be a bit more successful!

No comments: